Beijing beef has just made a comeback in the Panda Express menu last 2020. This well-loved Chinese takeout features crispy beef, and a whole lot of veggies in a flavorful, thick sauce.
There are a lot of reasons why you would want to recreate this dish. So for this post, we will talk about all the FAQs about Panda Express Beijing beef and will give you an easy whip recipe in the end.
Table of Contents
What is Panda Express Beijing beef?
The Beijing beef of Panda Express is a hearty and satisfying meal. It is made with crispy, marinated beef strips, sliced onions, red bell peppers, and coated with tangy and thick sweet and spicy sauce. It is the beef counterpart of the Panda Express orange chicken but with a spicy kick.
Ingredients & substitute
Here are the ingredients that you must prepare when making Panda Express Beijing beef.
For the beef stir-fry:
- Flank steak
- Canola oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
For the sauce:
- Hoisin sauce
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- Red pepper flakes
- Rice vinegar
- Brown sugar
For substitutes, you can use Kikkoman instead of soy sauce, or sambal paste instead of red pepper flakes for more spice. Any high heat oil can be substituted for the canola oil and arrowroot flour in place of the cornstarch.
What kind of beef does Panda Express Beijing beef use?
Panda Express Beijing beef uses flank steak for the dish. It is a lean protein and is more flavorful than other beef cuts. Panda Express uses the best cut recommended for flank steak. It is cut in medium size thin slices against the grain.
Panda Express Beijing beef calories & nutrition
Following the website of Panda Express, the Beijing beef dish contains 470kcal (240 comes from fat). It has a total fat of 26g and saturated fat at 5g. Cholesterol is at 25mg, sodium is at 660mg, carbohydrates is at 46g, sugar is 24g, protein is 13g and dietary fiber at 1g.
Tools used in the recipe
The tools needed for this dish would be the following:
- Wok/non-stick skillet or saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Mixing spoons
- Cutting board
How to make Panda Express Beijing beef
To cook Beijing beef, here are the things that should be done. First, marinate the beef, dip it in cornstarch and eggs, dip it again in the cornstarch and then fry until brown.
Next, mix the sauce and then stir-fry the vegetables. Now, thicken the sauce and add in the beef and veggies. Coat the beef and veggies evenly with the sauce and then serve.
More Panda Express copycat recipes
- Panda Express Teriyaki Chicken
- Panda Express kung pao chicken
- Panda Express super greens
- Panda Express broccoli beef
- Panda Express black pepper chicken
- Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Panda Express cream cheese Rangoon
- Panda Express string bean chicken breast
- Panda Express eggplant tofu
- Panda Express Beijing beef (you’re here)
- Panda Express orange chicken
- Panda Express fried rice
- Panda Express chow mein
- Panda Express Honey Sesame Chicken
- Panda Express honey walnut shrimp
- Panda Express sweet and sour sauce
Panda express Beijing beef sauce
The Beijing beef sauce is made of the traditional ingredients popular in saucy dishes from the Beijing region. It is sweet and spicy, with a lot of spices, vinegar, and soy sauce. It is spicier than BBQ sauce.
Variations on Panda Express Beijing beef
If you want to notch this dish a bit, here are some of the variations that you can incorporate:
- Proteins: chicken breasts/thigs, pork strips
- Spice: add cayenne pepper or chilies
- Vegetables: you can also add broccoli, snow peas, carrots, and cauliflower
- Vegan: you can use fried tofu and mushrooms
How to store Panda Express Beijing beef
Like how you would store any leftover, it has to be cooled completely before it is put in the fridge. Put it in an sealed container and store in the fridge for three days.
Can you freeze Panda Express Beijing beef?
While this dish is better when eaten immediately, yes, it can also be frozen. When sealed in an airtight container, it could last in the freezer for 3months.
What does Panda Express Beijing beef taste like?
The sauce has a similar taste with that of orange chicken, only the Beijing beef is less sweet and spicier. It also has a bit of saltiness in it, a crunchy and chewy texture thanks to the bell pepper and onions.
What to serve with Panda Express Beijing beef?
The best pairs for Beijing beef would be white or brown rice, steamed veggies such as bok choy or broccoli, chow mein noodles, shrimp, or ham fried rice. You can also pair it with soup or egg rolls. Overall, it is a versatile dish that one cannot just get enough of.
Is Panda Express Beijing beef healthy?
Considering its nutrition content, it is not the healthiest food out there. It is high in saturated fats, sodium, calories, and carbohydrates. But given the list of healthier substitute ingredients, you can turn it around and make it healthier.
Is Panda Express Beijing beef keto friendly?
It is. The protein and fat pass the keto standard, but its high carb and calorie content is something to look out for. Again, look for better, more keto-friendly substitutes such as liquid aminos.
Is Panda Express Beijing beef gluten-free?
No. But you can go for gluten-free ingredients such as Kikkoman sauce or gluten-free soy sauce. You can also use arrowroot flour instead of cornstarch or just waive the breading completely.
Is Panda Express Beijing beef dairy-free?
No. It is listed as one of the five dishes with dairy content. The other four would be chicken egg rolls, orange chicken, steamed ginger fish, and honey walnut shrimp.
For the beef stir-fry
- 1lb flank steak (sliced into thin strips)
- 1pc red bell pepper (chopped)
- 4cloves minced garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs beaten
For the sauce
- 1tsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3tbsps ketchup
- 6tbsps Hoisin sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 4tsps chili sauce
- 1tsp crushed red pepper
- 2tbsp apple cider vinegar
- First, slice the flank steak into thin beef strips.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk in egg, salt, and cornstarch. Submerge the beef strips in the mixture and marinate for one hour.
- As it is tenderized, work on the sauce. Mix ketchup, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, water, sweet chili sauce, crushed red peppers, and apple cider vinegar.
- Next, take the beef strips from the marinade and dip each in cornstarch.
- Put wok or small saucepan on medium heat. Add canola oil and start frying the beef strips. Cook for 3mins or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Caramelize the onions in the wok. Add the red bell pepper. Cook them for 3mins. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Set aside.
- Pour the sauce in the wok and simmer until thick and without lumps. Add the veggies and the beef in the mixture. Cook for 5mins.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 395Total Fat 12gCholesterol 68mgSodium 1009mgCarbohydrates 40gSugar 25gProtein 28g
There is a lot of clout as to how healthy Beijing beef is from Panda Express. The thing is, it should not matter that much because there are a lot of substitutes and variations that you can add or do with it for it to suit your health standards.
After everything is said and done, the fact that it is a flavorful, filling dish and one of the favorite takeout foods from Panda Express remains.