Everybody loves chocolate chip cookies. As a matter of fact, it is one of the staples of childhood. But our love for chocolate chip cookies does not stop there. We carry it with us forever.
We all know that chocolate chip cookies are made with brown sugar in it. But when you scrap it, what chocolate chip cookie will we have? Well for one, the same chocolatey goodness and here is how.
What does brown sugar do for cookies?
Compared to white sugar and other granulated sweeteners, brown sugar makes cookies moister, crisper, and chewier. This is thanks to the 20% molasses that it has. This is the reason why brown sugar is a traditional ingredient for cookies.
To make chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar, here are the following ingredients that you should prepare:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Sticks of butter
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
If you cannot go baking chocolate chip cookies without sugar or any sweetening substitute, you can opt for the following:
- White sugar with honey, maple syrup or molasses
- Coconut sugar
- Agave nectar
- Muscovado sugar
- Green stevia
Tools or equipment used in the recipe
Like gathering the ingredients for the chocolate chip cookie without brown sugar, you should also prepare the following tools:
- 2 mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and cups for the dry ingredients
- Whisk or hand mixer
- Baking sheet and pan
- Ice cream scoop
- Cooling rack
- Plate or jar for the finished product
How to make chocolate chip cookie without brown sugar
If you are making chocolate chip cookie without brown sugar for the first time, here are the steps in making one:
- Gather all the ingredients; all the traditional ingredients except for brown sugar.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add a stick of butter, vanilla, and the eggs.
- Form the dough by adding additional dry ingredients.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Scoop and line cookie dough in a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12mins in a pre-heated oven.
How to store chocolate chip cookies
If you baked a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies and worry that they may crumble if not eaten while fresh, here is how to store them properly:
If you intend to place the cookie jar at room temperature:
Store the cookies in an airtight container. Arrange the cookies in between sheets of parchment paper to keep them from sticking. You can also put white plain bread inside the container. The bread will absorb all the moisture in the container.
Transfer the chocolate chip cookies in freezer-safe bags. Portion them with the right number to avoid sticking and crumbling. The cookies can last in the freezer for up to 3months.
What does beating an extra egg yolk do for cookies?
Beating an extra egg yolk when baking cookies increases the firmness and thickness of the cookie dough. When you do this, make sure that you are also using melted butter instead of just softened butter sticks and extra flour. This way, you will get a firmer, thicker, and chewier cookies.
Can oil be used for the cookie dough instead of butter?
Yes. But here is the difference between the two when used in the cookie dough. Butter easily melts at high temperature and in effect, the cookie dough will spread out in an even layer. Since oil is at room temperature already, it allows the cookie dough to retain its shape while baked. Given these, it is up to you to choose between oil and butter.
Are there healthier substitutes for butter in making cookies?
Believe it or not, there are. If you want a healthier, dairy-free substitute for butter in your chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar, you should check out the following:
- Greek yogurt
- Mashed bananas
- Pumpkin puree
- Nut butter
Why should I add cream of tartar in my cookie recipe?
It is not required but adding cream of tartar in the cookie dough inhibits the crystallization of sugar. Through this, the cookies become chewier and softer after they are baked. Plus, the acidic flavor of the cream of tartar provides a distinct aftertaste to cookies.
What can I add to my cookie recipe aside from chocolate chips?
Chocolate chip cookies will always be a childhood favorite but if you are thinking of other ingredients that you can incorporate in cookies for that added crunch and taste, you might want to explore the following:
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate covered fruit tidbits
- Crushed hard candy
- Flavored baking chips
- Nuts (almonds, pecan, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios)
- Shredded coconut
- Dried fruits (cranberries and cherries are superb)
Chocolate chip cookies are some of the best things in life. Surely, we cannot get enough of their chocolate goodness. But you can incorporate variations in your chocolate chip cookies.
For instance, you can replace brown sugar with white or with other natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup or molasses. The point in chocolate chip cookies would the firmness of the dough and well, the chocolate chips in it so changing the brown sugar ingredient is never a problem.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar Recipe
Looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe minus the brown sugar? Here is one recipe for you.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2tsps vanilla extract
- 2 cups jumbo semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup chopped walnuts
- The first thing to do is to pre-heat the oven at 375F.
- Next, gather all the dry ingredients. Get a large mixing bowl and whisk in flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside for a while.
- Get another mixing bowl. Toss the sugar and butter in. Mix until a soft mixture comes out.
- Now, beat the eggs in sugar and butter mixture one at a time. Stir in the vanilla extract. Whisk or use an electric mixer for blending.
- After this, make the cookie dough by mixing the liquid and dry mixtures. Mix properly and make sure that there are no lumps in the dough.
- Add the chocolate chips and walnuts in the mixture and lightly mix.
- Line the baking sheets (ungreased) and scoop cookie dough for baking. The cookie dough should be at least 2inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for 10mins. Take out of the oven and let it stay in the baking sheet for at least 5mins before transferring the cookies in the cooling rack.
- Serve warm
Do not exceed 15mins when baking chocolate chip cookies
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 103.4Total Fat 11.5gSaturated Fat 5.5gCholesterol 21.4mgSodium 67.3mgCarbohydrates 17.1gFiber 1gSugar 10.8gProtein 2.3g